What Methods Can You Try To Quit The Smoking Habit?
No matter what reasons you may have for wanting to quit smoking, you know it’s going to be a difficult road. But if you know what help is out there and avail yourself to it, you’ve got a fighting chance. Keep reading for more information on which method might be best for you.
1. Going cold turkey. Although this method is one of the hardest approaches, many people find it’s the only way they can quit. Prepare yourself mentally to throw all of your smoking materials in the trash, and then just do it. You will have to fight through many cravings and find a way to get past withdrawals. But this method of quitting is the simplest way to go about quitting, if you’ve got the right stuff for it.
2. Use gum that contains nicotine. Gum provides an oral fixation for smokers, while giving them a burst of nicotine. Using this method has more flexibility than going cold turkey, which is why many find it appealing. Develop a long-term plan for quitting with nicotine gum, and keep it on you at all times. Use it in meetings, restaurants and anywhere you feel the urge to light up a cigarette. Start each day with a piece and take it from there.
3. Using a nicotine patch. This method keeps a steady supply of nicotine running through your veins, which is an effective way to wean yourself from the addiction. The patch is very non-obtrusive and available in different strengths, making it convenient and somewhat easier than other methods. Ask your doctor about a prescription patch or whether some type of over-the-counter brand will be best for you. Outside of a possible rash where the patch is placed, it probably won’t cause you any adverse side-effects.
4. Group lessons on smoking cessation. Actual training to quit smoking is a different way to tackle the situation, and if you happen to be very sociable, it could be the best option for you. Look into different support groups that educate you on what to expect and how to go about dealing with it. With this method, you will also have someone available to talk you through cravings when you experience them, and that can be a huge help.
5. Using an electronic cigarette. Although not endorsed by the FDA or any other credible medical group as a safe and effective method of quitting, millions of nicotine addicts have successfully used ecigarettes to end their relationship with the real thing. These products do contain nicotine and various other ingredients, but not nearly as many or as deadly as actual tobacco cigarettes. They mimic smoking closely, so you may not notice much of a difference and be easily able to transition yourself off of cigarettes for good.
Now you’ve got good information on the different methods of quitting and can choose the best one for you. If it doesn’t work, try the next one on the list and keep up your efforts until you can proudly call yourself an ex-smoker!